Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by RexM
Do any of you have experience with a .25 Marauder? Since pellets do not mushroom like .22 LRs on impact it may be better to use a larger round. Just wondering if it makes that big a difference on lethality and also if trajectory is suitable for gray squirrels. Most of the time range is under 40 yd, but as someone pointed out it needs to be precise as the kill zone is very small. I have been thinking about one for sometime, just have not talked myself into it because of the hassle of supplying air to a PCP. It may be necessary however, especially if the .22 SSP is not sufficient.
Killed 120-130 with my .25 marauder the last two (combined)seasons.Absolutely love that gun-hits like a hammer!Mine is shooting a chronoed 850 fps with JSB pellets.0n at 30 yards,about 1.25" low @ 50.Extremely accurate compared to the springers I have owned,1/2" groups at 50 yards are the norm.

I second the motion of using a .25 cal.

As to whether pellets mushroom or not is dependent on how fast they move, and what they hit.

Pellet lead is softer than conventional .22 lr lead. Much softer.

Here's a comparison of a .22lr solid point and a .25 cal pellet fired into the same media under the same conditions.

[Linked Image]

Penetration of .25 pellet in standard 55 gallon steel barrel at 25 yards.

[Linked Image]

Lethality is pretty impressive as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the Marauder, in most cases, the loudest thing about pulling the trigger is the pellet impacting the target. smile

With the performance of the modern .25's, I don't have much use for the .22 anymore.

Thank you for the report. I wish we had bought one of those from the beginning. Looks like you got a good one.