I used to have a RWS Model 52 in .22 cal. (same gun as the 48, but fancier stock.) I got tired of getting solid chest hits on crows which did not kill them, and while they could no longer fly, they had a hole in their chests, so had to chase them down with a club. Sold the rifle in disgust, big mistake, as it was a good shooter.

Got into using my 12 gauge shotgun on crows and saw them take hits and keep going too, so crows are tough. The one time I actually hunted squirrels I hit one with my .22 caliber rf pistol with a 40 gr solid bullet, and still had to shoot him 2 more times before he expired, tough animals.

Had rats in my kitchen the last few Winters, used a spring trap to catch them, they often were still alive, so used my .177 pellet rifle (Crosman and Daisey) muli-pump to finish them off, at first I was just ventilating them in the stomach and chest with solid hits using flat head pellets, which did not kill them. Did head shots after that which worked great, tough animals. But they are related to squirrels too.

I currently have a RWS 34 in .177 that is very nice, have not hunted with it yet. With these springers you need to hold them in the so-called "artillery hold". There are films on the internet showing how this is done, and getting to know your specific rifle too. Makes a difference in accuracy. My Daisy 901 multi-pump is my primary as it is more accurate than any springer, but lacks power. I won't use it on crows.

Last edited by HE112; 02/02/17.