Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Here's a story from when I was employed as hazardous waste inspector. I had an inspection in a crime-ridden area of Newburgh (a murder rate higher than NYC). While inspecting this small company, the guy looking for some paperwork opened a desk drawer and inside I recognized a Ruger 10/22 that had the barrel and stock illegally cut down to pistol size. I pretended I didn't see it and later called the Newburgh PD to report the illegal gun. I was told, "In that part of the city, you would be crazy not to have a gun." Upon seeing that illegal gun, I didn't confiscate it, out of fear for my safety, or run out of the place screaming. Hell, that gun was probably the safest thing I encountered in that sheet hole. Many violations were cited.

Well, hurray. That has ... hmmm... exactly nothing to do with anything, and certainly not the 4A or the law. Read the link provided. Read Terry v Ohio.

Of course, you MAY have inadvertently stumbled upon a concept of "totality of circumstances" as it relates to a cop in NM dealing with a felon working in a low-end convenience store in a schithole part of town, but you would not catch on even if we drew you a picture.

It has to do with encountering potentially dangerous situations and how one chooses to handle that situation. Just because a job has dangers doesn't mean another's rights should be infringed.

The rest of that story is that about 10 years after that encounter with the guy with the illegal gun in his desk, he was at his second home in Jamaica, lounging around his pool, when two guys walked up to him and shot him dead and walked away. The killers were never caught and it was assumed to be a mob hit.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20100209/BIZ/2090334

ps. Regarding the 4th Amendment: I had places refuse me entry without having a search warrant. I didn't freak out over someone exercising their Constitutional Rights, I would just calmly inform them that they had that right but that I would seek a search warrant, come back with a Conservation Officer and any violations would be handled criminally rather than administratively. They would then always grant me access.

Last edited by cooper57m; 02/01/17.