I've been jonesing for a hunting rifle in 6.5CM ever since I started shooting an RPR in that caliber. I need a safety that locks the bolt on a hunting rifle, and wanted something light, so for me it came down to one of the Kimbers or a Howa Alpine. I could have gotten the Alpine locally for $900, but wanted the slightly longer threaded barrel of the Montana, so I ponied up the extra and bought one from Whittaker's.

My Montana with Talley lightweights, a VX3i 2.5-8x36 and 4+1 weighs right at or maybe a hair under under 6 lbs on my scale.

I've only been out to shoot it once and there was a little learning curve with a rifle this light, but it managed to turn in a 0.96" 5 shot group (4 into .48", with one opening the group up substantially) with 143gr Hornady precision hunter factory loads. I have high hopes for my handloads.

The only blemish on the Montana purchase at the moment is that it was sometimes failing to feed the first round of a full mag due to the rear of the case dropping 1/8" low and not getting picked up. Luckily a guy on another board explained that a common problem on the Montana's is the base of the spring sliding forward under compression, changing the geometry of the spring. If the spring is already a little weak, this change in position can reduce the upwards force on the rear of the cartridge allowing it to dip. I looked down in the bottom of the magazine portion of the stock, and sure enough, there were slide marks where the leading edge of the spring base has been shifting forward. An easy fix, but still a little frustrating.

I'm excited to try the Montana with my 7.62 Saker, even with the somewhat porky Saker on the end, the total weight should still be 7.25 lbs or so. I plan on eventually getting a Thunderbeast Ultra 7, and total weight with that setup would be 6.75 lbs or so... Very huntable.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/08/17.