Originally Posted by Cropslx
Mainly looking for a Turkey gun, but would use it for other stuff like doves, deer and squirrels (rarely).

Would like something with a shorter barrel or to be able to buy extra barrels for it.

Although I went the first 15 years on one shotgun, I would say turkey hunting cries out for a dedicated gun, and that it should not be expensive. Turkey hunting requires the shotgun to be aimed like a rifle. This is antithetical to wing shooting. If you crawl around in the briars the way we do, it'll get scratched up.

Therefore, I would first think about a decent inexpensive 12 GA pump that has the option of screw in choke tubes. It does not have to be all that fancy. We all shoot 12 GA Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 variants. Most of us at Turkey Camp have spray painted our guns. Why 12? If you're looking for less recoil, just shoot 2 3/4. It's about the same as a heavy 20 GA. You'll have more choices in ammo and choke tubes. We all shoot 3" lead Federal or 2 3/4" Rem Nitro Buffered Magnums.

I'm not knocking 20 GA for turkey. My son shot his first few birds using a 20 GA bolt gun. I'm just saying 12 GA is more versatile, and overall it will be cheaper to get the job done.

Deer? With a used Mossberg 500 you can add on a rifled deer barrel. It'll be good out to 100 yards with slugs. All of our shotguns are D&T's for scopes, whether we use them or not. I'm pretty well stuck with a scope, because my eyes are no longer able to pick up both the bead and the turkey.

Squirrel? Change the choke tube on your turkey barrel to modified and shoot low-brass #6.

With a $1600 budget that leaves you about $1200 for a really nice shotgun for wingshooting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer