Originally Posted by Pappy348
I thought that possibly you might send them to the protein plant as fertilizer. I heard a podcast recently that featured a Texas hog trapper that sends hundreds to a processor that sells the meat overseas because it's not legal to sell commercially here.

Given their reproduction rate, I doubt that anything your club could do would affect the overall problem to any degree. Don't look for any moralizing on your pig popping practices from this quarter.😜

Have you by any chance watched any driven boar shooting videos on YouTube? Those guys can shoot! Well worth watching, but prepare to feel like a dub after watching those boys sling lead at boars on the scoot. The Aimpoint videos are probably the best.

No, there isn't much we can do to slow them down. I was reading somewhere that about 70% of the annual yield (piglets) would have to be culled just to stay even. I don't know how accurate that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That fellow you're talking about - shooting the Merkel Helix - is incredible. When my BIL bought his Aimpoint he got a year's subscription and could watch the videos for free - Wild Boar Fever, I think they're called. Those boys can shoot! There was also an episode where they had an interactive range where live-fire hits on a huge video screen are registered. That would be a lot of fun to try.

It's too bad we can't give the meat from the pigs to the local homeless shelters, but the Health Department won't let it pass through the doors unless it's processed through an approved processing facility. I think we have two in the entire state. That's a shame: there is a lot of meat running around that could be used. Oh well; the government always knows best, right? frown

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown