Originally Posted by captdavid
Have you tried the ones you call stinky? I'll admit my experience on over 200lbrs is limited, only 4, some have smelled pretty bad. Even those tasted OK. You might try one. I think you and I pretty much are old school. If I shoot it I eat it. Exclusive of coyote and crows, of course. I'll never understand those that intentionally gut shoot one, only to let it die a miserable death. You might try splitting the differences. Try just skinning one ham and both backstraps. Give them a try. You might be surprised. If they're awful give them to your dog or an annoying neighbor. smile Captdavid

A lot of the time the stink is from either peeing themselves when shot (or soon afterward) or rolling in wallows where they've been peeing. I've eaten the meat from some big boars as well, but I find those less than 100 pounds are just a lot milder, as well as a little more tender. In a big batch of BBQ, though, I don't think anyone could really tell the difference. I've had deer that has been tougher and tasted worse that the backstraps of a really big boar.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown