After previously thinking that there was nothing I didn't like about my new Ram or even the previous 2005 model I owned, today I came across something I despise about the new ones.

Time to change the two fuel filters, no problems.

Time to change the oil. Son-of-a-b!tch! Oil filter is in the same place on the motor. The problem is, you can no longer get to it from underneath. There is a huge plate of metal welded from one side of the frame to the other that completely covers this area.

Try google. Turns out, the only way to get to it is through a "window" in the passenger-side wheel well. This "window" is barely big enough to get my hand through, much less the filter.

You're supposed to drop the filter, turn it sideways (dumping the oil in the filter everywhere) and pull the filter out sideways through this "window". Keep in mind the window is barely big enough to get the filter through sideways, especially with your hand on it.

I wouldn't quite know yet because the filter socket/wrench broke where the socket wrench attaches. The filter is on so tight that the housing of the filter socket (pot-metal) broke apart. Oh, and because the window is so small, you can only move the socket wrench a few degrees before you have to reset. And, you'll need a cheater pipe just so you can reach the wrench through the window to move it.

Geno's garage website sells a filter cap so that after you drop the old filter, you can screw on this cap and turn the filter sideways to get it out without spilling oil. And, use it so you can fill the new filter and get it in without spilling.

But, man is it a pain in the a$$ to get to. Son-of-a-bi!!tch. That idiot engineer should have to come change my filter every time it's due.

Time to look for a filter relocation kit.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan