Hey all. I'm new to this forum. Was sent here by Ken from savage99.com after emailing him with my question. So here is my issue, but first a little back story. Lol. So when I was 15 (I'm 38 now) my grandmother loaned me a Savage lever action rifle to go hunting for the first time. I ended up getting in trouble and grounded and never went hunting, but my dad held onto the gun since my grandma didn't use it anymore. It was originally my grandfather's gun and then my grandmother's after my grandfather died. It sat in my gun locker since my father died in 2010 with the intention being that it go to my uncle, as requested by my grandmother. On March 11, my oldest son's 21st birthday my grandmother passed away. While packing up my grandmother's house, I talked to my uncle and told him I had the rifle and his mom wanted him to have it. To my surprise, he told me he wanted me to have it. Then he told me several stories of the family hunting and stories about the gun. So here is my question. What caliber is my 1899? The Barrell stamp clearly is stamped 30-R. I have never been able to shoot this rifle because I don't know what shells it takes. My uncle said it uses a round almost like the 30-30 but doesn't have the lip at the rear around the primer? If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I would love to take this gun to the range and shoot it and let my kids shoot what used to be their great grandparents hunting rifle. Thank you.