Snipe (Wilson's or Common, whatever they're calling them these days.) Heard a bunch of times is SE OR and NW NV. Usually at dusk. Seems late in the year for it but that's what comes to mind... More searching will give the details how they display, fly way up and then drop down and IIRC the sound is made in the tail feathers...

Originally Posted by nemotheangler
How about heard?

Hunting Muleys in North West Nevada, brother and I camping in the desert with our camp tucked up against a little hill. Nothing but sagebrush surrounding us. Having a night cap around the campfire heard from the other side of the little hill a noise that sounded something like when someone has a flat stick tied to a string and whirls it overhead. Well this got louder and and was obviously coming right at our camp, getting louder and louder. It was so strange we got ourselves armed in a hurry, ran up the hill and saw....nothing. The noise stopped right as we crested the hill. Investigations in day light revealed...nothing.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?