the reasons I hunt with an AR 15 are many. up until about 10 years ago there simply wasn't the scope mounts and stocks that allowed me to feel comfortable using an AR so I didn't own one. Now days we have lots of scope mounts and stocks that make the gun seem like its no longer designed for someone the size of a midget.

I hunt mainly coyotes. I would not use the AR for big game deer hunting or larger. after 3 seasons of coyote hunting I think the Ar 15 is actually pretty low powered when it comes to putting down a coyotes. But I shoot an AR SOOO much better in the field than I do a traditional stocked rifle. everything just ends up dead. I attribute it to 2 things. the vertical grip applies less torque to the gun when squeezing the trigger. I find that I can hit alot better even standing off hand than I can with a bolt gun. the other is the 2 stage trigger. I can pull up the first stage while I am settling the gun on the target, then squeeze off the final amount when everything is lined up. The gun is just more steady on target than a bolt gun. I don't even think about the trigger anymore it just goes off when it needs to. no worrying about trigger control. its like my finger knows when everything looks right and the gun goes off. I simply don't miss coyotes I should hit anymore. before with bolt guns and single stage triggers no matter how ligtht I ran those at 28 oz there was still a struggle for me getting a perfect break on the trigger. in the field a good break on the trigger is the difference between hitting and missing. the 2 stage trigger just allows me to feel the trigger. I can't explain it. its simply automatic, I don't think about it.

the other is multiple shots of course. with a semi auto getting off quick shots 2 shoot multiple animals or to pick up one that is on the run.