I've used and still use Heavy Duplexes in my Leupold 6X42's. I've used the German No.1, the 4a and the Post & Duplex.
Assuming your eyes are up to using such optics, the first problem is seeing the reticle. I've had my 6X42's in heavy timber on full cloud cover nights and could still see the reticle. The German No.1 is even better, BTW. Not just once, but many times.
The other problem is seeing far enough. So a scope with enough magnification is a must. Such scopes only work if you enough exit pupil for the magnification present. That means a 4X scope, or varible set on 4X needs at least a 5mm exit pupil. More brings a brighter image. But a 6X assuming same exit pupil size will allow you to see 50% further under the same light conditions.
I'm of the opinion that illuminated reticles will certainly work, but one must be careful to set them on the dimmest setting that allow you to see them. That will vary as it gets darker, etc. If you don't, it reduces your ability to see the target clearly. The other problem is running out of battery power at the wrong time.
I don't think they are necessary in a hunting rifle. But it's your call. E