My results from making actual comparisons mirror Bobby Tomek's. In very low light, I prefer the traditional non-illuminated heavy reticle for closer ranges and an illuminated dot or cross that can be dialed way down both in size and brightness for distance. My experience is deer only.

When the light gets very low I dial up as much magnification as I can get away with which right up to 10x. Personally speaking, in terms of making the shot, maximum exit pupil is overrated, with an EP of 5 or slightly less working just fine for me. Getting out there at 150 plus yds at the close of the day in fading light, critters get pretty small and their form is not as defined against the background. An illuminated dot or crosshair with the smallest subtension I can get and set at an intensity just bright enough to see it, improves the precision in aiming...for me anyway.

I'm not trying to step on anybody's baby here...saying that I fail to see the logic behind dots subtending 1/2" or more and unable to dial the intensity down to barely perceptible. And while I'm on a rant, it wouldn't hurt to mention that with around 1/3rd of the male population red/green color impaired, what is the reason for promoting daytime usage?

Defend the Constitution