Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Although I have never shot a cape buffalo with my 458, I have shot an elk with it. I used a Hornady DGX softpoint and that bullet broke up and changed directions inside the elk. I cannot recommend that bullet for anything bigger that duiker.

I had the misfortune of using some Hornady factory 450 NE ammo loaded with 480 grain DGXs on an Asiatic with a borrowed Verney Caron double.

Since they loaded the ammo, rated it for dangerous game, and put a picture of a buffalo on the box I refuse to take any blame for misapplication. wink It started out at about 40 yards when I gave both barrels. He came my way, likely out of confusion but not so fast that I couldn't get a couple more into the double and then into him. That slowed things down to where I put the last 2 shells I had in, then one through the shoulder and the last one into his neck, since it was after all my last shell. He was co-operative enough to give me both sides to shoot at. The bullets were just going in 6 inches or so, and blowing up. A bigger piece of crap is hard to imagine.

[Linked Image]

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.