My understanding is that Ruger used mostly Wilson barrels in the old days, and filled in with Douglas now and then when supply didn't meat demand. Later they went to Green Mountain. When exactly I can't say.

I have had #1s and M77s come into my shop for work for many many years, and as a rule the rifles with GM barrels seem more consistent. But you can't say "thus saith the Lord."

My friends Randy and Jeff had M-77s from the early 70s and they were both Wilson barreled rifles, and both were super accurate.

I used to have a 1976 made #1 in 270 Win that was a very good shooter too. Not a one-holer, but it would drop 3 rounds under an inch easily enough.

But I have seen several of them that were not very accurate. As a gunsmith, I guess it would be logical that I'd see more "bad ones" than most men. Good ones don't need work. That's like healthy folks not going to the doctor.

Maybe someone can tell me, but the rumor I heard about 12 years ago is that Ruger was now making their own barrels. I have no idea if that's true or not. But I can say that most of the newer Rugers I see are anywhere from very accurate to SUPER accurate.

Last edited by szihn; 04/24/17.