Originally Posted by Pappy348
Valsdad, you must have some amazing deal cooking to consider moving to a place so at odds with what you think and enjoy. I just couldn't do it (or likely afford it with the new gas tax, astronomical real estate prices, and the new single-payer health plan they're cooking up). Think long and hard my friend, and not just about your bullet problem.

Thanks pappy,

Believe me, I would have preferred another place but it's not just me involved. My wife relocated for work, the rent she was paying is now reduced by $500 a month and we're buying the new place for her (me when I retire) on a 15 yr loan. We found a 3 br place with a 28x32 shop/garage, well with pump house, 5-7 cords of firewood already there, large fenced backyard, 6.89 acres only three houses past us till the county rd ends, $135K price, and the best part for me........ we're surrounded by BLM land on "three sides".

This is our view to the west from my "back" porch, the white top T posts are our property line, there's a barb wire gate just off camera to the right and a little dirt road leading to about 15 square miles or so of BLM checkerboarded in with some private. The cranes came to visit us one day this past March. I can walk out my door and be hunting in minutes.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

We're a 20 min drive outside town, 2 hours from a "big town", 3 or so to a real city. 45 mile drive or so to be in OR, large large areas of NF and BLM land, a wonderful National Wildlife Refuge with excellent duck and geese hunting, fishing is supposedly great in the area, the Warner Mountains are a short drive away.

Benefits and Drawbacks my friend. The wife doesn't want to move anymore, we've been through about 20 moves, individually and as a couple, since 1996, for work/career advancement. We're both at or near retirement age.

I had hoped to have the financial wherewithal to purchase a small plot in AZ or OR to set up my own "residency" and just visit the wife "occasionally".

We'll deal with the communistic aspects of Cali life when they arise. I'm not gonna like many of those, but I've got some really good parts to enjoy too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?