Originally Posted by Valsdad
Now, what is it with the 20g 870 Express youth models?

You guys must feel the same way? Is there something "special" about it?

Geno

Youth model to get the 21" barrel. You will get more velocity out of the 26" barrels, but the performance or pattern is 6 to 1 or half a dozen to the other. It's not worth the extra length or weight when carrying the gun in the woods. My .02!

My current gun started life as a Remington 870 Youth 20ga. I stripped the gun completely down, took the receiver to a smith to drill/tap/attach rail, polished/deep cleaned barrel, replaced forearm with a synthetic from Remington, installed an adjustable Knoxx stock with a Limbsaver, and a Burris FFII sits on top with a guard built by a member from another forum. I sanded it down, primed, and painted it with multiple stencils and lots of time. I hand load 1 5/8oz of TSS #9.5s and run it thru a Remington Super Full "lead only" choke. It will flat stomp turkeys. Killed a slam with it last year. I've lost count on the number of birds taken by this gun.

Going to the 20ga was simple for me. I love to run and gun, and if you've never chased a Rio they take "run" to a whole new level. Having a smaller, lighter, more compact gun has been a god send. I also hunt with a lot of newbies and kids. I wanted something I could adjust the stock on to fit them as well as not bruise on the other end when they shot. This gun does that in spades. I've currently built 11 guns just like this one for family in friends. I'm in process of building two more, but Knoxx stopped making the stocks so I'm using Remington's SureShot stock. When the kids get old enough they will use this gun, and I'll carry the SureShot.

I think it will be super cool for both my kids to kill a slam with it as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member