Benelli Sales Rep told me at the Harrisburg Outdoor Show they recommend using a Weaver shotgun mount. Same one that will fit
Super Blk Eagle, S. Blk Eagle II.

All well and good. But what makes drilling and tapping a M3020, or Benelli M2, SBE or SBE II, any different than drilling and tapping an 11-87, which most 'smiths seem to shy away from? Is the receiver that much thicker?

I have seen 11-87s D&T'ed. In some cases the holes were drill & tapped all the way into the barrel tang. Doing so provided enough 'meat' for the screws to have several threads of engagement and at the same time 'pinned' the barrel. But it makes for a Biatch removing the barrel. Anytime you want to clean from the breach, it means removing optics, the base, et al, then reinstalling everything and another trip to the range to re-sight. Far from an ideal circumstance.

To get a better perspective D&T the M3020, M2, SBE, et al, I've been trying to get a hold of the Benelli/Stoeger service folks for the last week. No joy so far.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.