I've been wanting a Winchester pre64 model 70 since I was a teenager. Over the years I've had several opportunities to purchase one, but I seem to always find another way to spend my money. Recently, I was in a pawn shop while working and noticed a lone rifle lying on the bottom shelf of a glass case. I noticed the hole in the bolt handle first and just knew it was a model 70. As I confirmed the rifle was what I thought it was, I noticed the price was set at a reasonable $750.00. It should be noted that the rifle was wearing a Weaver K6 in some very high see through rings. The rifle was also equipped with a vintage Bucheimer leather sling.

I asked to speak to the manager of the store. As he was walking over, I noticed this rifle was the only one in the shop that wore a wood stock. I informed the manager that I may be in the market for a more traditional looking rifle and asked if this old rifle was the only one that they had in stock with a wood stock. The manager looked behind him at the rifles in the racks and shrugged his shoulders saying, "looks like it." I asked to look at it and he obliged me. Upon further inspection the rifle was a 30-06 featherweight, the bluing looked good, and the bore was clean and bright. The stock had several small dings and scratches, but no cracks in the wood. After a bit of haggling, I offered the manager $600.00 out the door. To my excitement, the manager agreed to the price. Well, there you have it, I'm now the proud owner of a Winchester Model 70 pre-64. Check out the pics and tell me what you think.

Last edited by ChanceD; 05/16/17.