Now, if that were my rifle, I would do the following:

Add a front sight hood for looks. A reproduction would be fine.
Fit a RED Pacmayer decelerator pad. Close to a proper Winchester color, no white lines please!
Good quality low mounts, and a good scope (I'm not into vintage scopes on vintage guns, but that's just me.) IMO, a great choice for a Pre '64 is Leupold 3-9 Compact. The smaller diameter ocular (eyepiece) compared to the full size scopes allows the lowest possible mounting without the bolt handle hitting the ocular. (I'm all about low mounted scopes. Again, just me.)
I would consider QD sling swivel bases. The trouble is there is no easy way to do this. I believe the original wood screw pitch is 12 threads per inch (tpi), and the front correctly shaped Winchester nut is 10-36 machine screw. Nowadays, you tend to find 11tpi on the wood screw and 10-32 on the front, with no properly shaped nut available. Williams used to make 12 tpi wood screw QD studs, but no more as far as I can tell. I have never found a 10-36 front QD stud. One reasonably easy way is to modify the original swivels to make QD studs. This is not difficult. It goes against my aversion to altering original parts, but at least old Pre '64 sling swivels are common, and not too expensive (Super Grades and NOT, and are expensive!)

Anyway, those are the things I would do to make that rifle "my own."

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/18/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"