Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
To sum them up, crude but accurate gems in the rough. I noticed a couple of Zastava Mausers at Cabela’s the other day as well. I didn't give them a close look but at a glance they seem to be the same as the ones I and many others got (mine was LH) a couple years ago in a group buy. If what you are looking at is a Zastava Model 70 then it's probably the same basic rifle.

If so, the stock is finished and checkered crudely and the inside of the action is rough as a cob. Wood can vary from something a 2x4 could sneer at to very nice, real luck of the draw there. The stocks are huge with a long LOP (14 or 14.5” IIRC) but are otherwise very good ergonomically with cast and cant so they mount well.

The trigger can be adjusted to a nice, crisp pull and the rifles overall are accurate. They are real honest to gosh all milled steel and walnut rifles and give you a lot for the money if you want a solid Mauser 98 design. If you want it more nicely finished then be prepared to put in a good bit of sweat equity if you are handy or pay someone to do it if not. Gems in the rough.

So you would say it's reasonable to figure on pillars and glass bedding? That really isn't a big deal.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.