Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We can do a heifer in about a minute, sometimes a little less. My bander was saying that a Johnson calf table allows you to band and brand at the same time, where as this For Most you should wait.

Still, less than a minute and a half to run a bull calf through.

This was the first year we ran them all through in one day, usually its just the wife and I doing about 70 at different times. Usually had bunches or 100 or so out on grass but this year we are going to run them all together. Intensive style on tame, native and cover crops.

A tub of some sort would be nice for this job!

Yeah, its a dang nice brand.....and I kinda lucked into it. My Great Uncle on dad's side had the same initials as me, J C. When I turned 18 my Dad's cousin gave me the brand.

Its a C lazy J on the left rib. Goes on nice and fast and does not blotch like a B or an A can.

We started banding a few years ago, mainly because the kid I had trained up to cut moved to North Dakota. He sure was good. Nice clean job and fast.

No body wanted to cut and no body wanted to brand, so we band now and I brand.

This year they were right at the limit of the little green rings....I cut one that was way too big. We gave a tetanus shot to the big ones. Dont know if its necessary but some folks say it helps when you band a big one.

I thought it was maybe a C and a quarter circle. But a CJ is just as nice and clean. Love those type of brands, clean, simple and no blotch. Word=ked for an outfit that was S quarter circle, same thing. Also done a lot of branding with brands that are very easy to blotch. really want someone who knows how to brand when you're running an X or an N or a W etc.

Ours is a Rafter L. Pretty good but not as nice as a CJ.

I have always been of the opinion that if you band calves, you need to give a 7-way.

Montana MOFO