Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Whats the difference between the grill's ya'll are talking about VS the Big Green Egg?

I have neither a pellet grill or a BGE. Dad, uncle, and brother in law each have a Traeger.

The Traeger and other pellet grills have a bin that holds compressed sawdust pellets. A thermostat inside the cooking chamber tells an auger to speed up or slow down to increase/decrease pellet feed rate to maintain a set temperature. The Traegers are a light sheet metal build. Other more expensive pellet grills (Yoder is one example) are made of plate steel. The heavier built ones will last longer, and might have some benefit of 'mass' to maintain temps better.

A BGE or the similar heavy ceramics operate like a conventional charcoal grill (like an old school Weber kettle). But the 1"+ thick ceramic they're built out of holds the heat better. (somebody jump in here, is it insulating better, or is it holding the heat due to its mass?). I've heard many say a 'double handful' of charcoal was enough for them to do a low and slow cook for 12 hours. (heresay I know, never used one). With the vents on it, its supposed to be easy to dial in a temperature and sit on that the entire cook.