Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I had a 3-10 and sold mine. I didn't like the reticle choices available in that power range. the IHR reticle IMO kinda sucks and the MOAR is too fine of a reticle to work in the that power range. Its great in the 3.5-15 NXS because in that model the reticle is 50% larger in the view. I didn't feel the scope could do all I wanted it to do in the conditions I hunt. which is most of the time the scope is on low end power. and often I hunt in bad light against animals and targets that are difficult to see even in the best of light. I think nightforce is weak on low light reticles across their entire line. the MOAR works great but it needs to be in at least the 3.5-15 or the higher power SHV would work too. otherwise the mil dot IMO is their best low light reticle. that is what I replaced the SHV with, a NXS compact with mil dot.

??? Have not used a SHV, but have used NF MOAR reticles in NXS's in 2.5-10x42 and 5.5-22x56 to shoot feral pigs by moonlight, always with the power turned to lowest magnification. I really like the MOAR. Also have an IHR, which is not as useful as the MOAR, and also some other more specialized reticles. Illumination is a must have feature in any scope for me. About a year ago, had a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 side by side with another rifle that had a SWFA SS 6x on it. Could not see the pigs or reticle with the SWFA SS 6x, but the NF NXS Compact worked great. Turn the illumination to the lowest setting and the magnification to low and it worked just fine.

Do agree the SFP is handier for hunting, especially on low power and I have both SFP and FFP's to choose from. If low power is needed, holdovers usually are not needed.