On my first trip to Zim, an elephant hunt, I was separated from my rifle and duffle for the first 2 days. The outfitter lent me his SS Rem M-700 in 416 Rem with a Leupold 3-9x scope on it. I carried it reluctantly until my rifle caught up.

On my next trip, I found out that was his lending gun. He carried an open sighted Win M-70 CRF 458 Lott. This time I had no trouble, my DR 500 NE 3" made it with me all the way to camp. I like 416s, both the Rem and Rigby variants, but prefer 404s. No rational advantage I can see to either, just a matter of personal preference.

BTW, my favorite use of the RSM 416 Rigby is converting it to 450 Rigby Rimless Mag. Did that with one I intend to take to Africa next year as part of my revised 2-rifle battery, although my second RSM remains an unmodified 416 Rigby, a nod to tradition. More rifle lunacy wink grin

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now