Originally Posted by jdemocko
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The single most useful rifle I have is a Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby. It has taken DG at 16 paces and PG out to 200 yards.

At 11 lbs loaded with scope, it's a tad heavy, but with a good sling carries well and groups under an inch.

A PH friend has a 1920's Rigby .470 double, but his preferred backup rifle is a custom .416 Rigby built around a pre-war M98 action with open sights.

I also have a Dakota 76 African in 416 Rigby. With CEB Safari Raptor bullets and 100 grains of RL 22, it is a tack driver. One of the most accurate rifles I own. That rifle and my 500 NE have been my 2 gun Dangerous game battery for the past 3 safaris

Dad and I both have 76 Dakotas in .416 Rigby. I'm RH and he's LH. They are a great gun for the money. I actually found his on "The Fire" from a lefty who had it as a safe queen. His .416 Rigby took 3 buffalo in Tanzania, 1 lion in Zim, and 1 buffalo in Zim back in 2015. The 400 grain TSX is a great bullet--we never had an issue with the 6 buffalo we took that year. Unfortunately, the river valley was too open for the double rifles--especially when pursuing for bait more than for sport.

For those of you torn between the Rigby and the Remington, go with the traditional African cartridge. There is something to be said for having the same cartridge used in those old safari books that captivated you years ago.