Shortly after beginning load development in an old 788 in 6mm, I acquired a sweet little custom built on a Model Seven action. Realizing the potential for problems, I checked some brass fired in the 788 and sure enough, it was too tight for the Model Seven. Knowing what to do (which is not the same as doing it right), I adjusted my FL die so that brass fired in the 788 would cycle in the Seven. Evidently, I missed something because a handful of the cartridges I loaded up fit the Seven too tightly and I am all but certain they are the brass that were fired in the 788. I'm not sure how I managed to screw this up but I sure did it.

I have Lee collet neck dies and Redding body dies also which will be used for loading 6mm as needed in the future, so I've been thinking about the feasibility of using that body die to bump shoulders back a thousandth or two on these tight fitting rounds. I do realize what would happen should a primer detonate while doing this, but I don't see how that could possibly happen. OTOH, I do know that the most unlikely things DO happen sometimes, and it could be a lot more likely than I am imagining. Due to the seriousness of the possible consequences of a mishap, I am reluctant to attempt this without a lot more consideration and I'd like a little good advice.

So, I'm asking what y'all think: am I being overly cautious, or is this a very bad idea?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.