Originally Posted by Dutch
There are two issues with round bales that come into play around here. One, they don't transport easily, because the dimensions are awkward for a semi-trailer.

Second, especially around here, the humidity is only high enough for a few hours a day so that the hay doesn't crumble to dust going through the baler. A round baler, at least the ones I've been around, need to stop and tie off the strings once the bale is completed. Then you eject the bale, and start a new one.

The square balers are more expensive, but you can keep running when a bale is completed and being tied off. When fighting time, that makes a substantial difference, at least 50% more throughput. It can be the difference between green hay and brown hay, as well. Combine that with the easy of transport, the square bales win.

Most of the round bales here are wrapped now, instead of tied.

The transport of round bales here is mostly local too. Usually the guy selling the hay offers a delivery price and a pick up price.

I pick mine up. There's a distance from the ranch where loads exceeding weight and width are exempted from DOT rules. I believe it's 125 mile radius. Not that I'd care to take a long road trip with a load like the one below... wink Hay and trailer weight exceeded 30,000 pounds per load.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!