Several things to consider between the two cartridges. Like said in previous post the 44mag would be lighter to carry with less recoil. 44mag will have a capacity of 10rds. in rifle while the 45-70 will have 5rds. if that makes any difference. I did have a 1895 SS in 45-70 and sold it. Not familiar with a 44mag in rifle, but handgun I have. I have a 1894C 357mag in the Marlin that is a pleasure to shoot and is capable of using on deer if you limit your shot and place shot placement where it counts.Marlin discontinued the 357mag in their lever gun. Rossi and Henry still produce the 357mag in their lever gun. Which one is available in you area far as ammo? Do you reload your own ammo? 44mag would tend to be cheaper and with less recoil I believe you will tend to shoot more often to get more proficient with rifle. With the handgun cartridges you can shoot the special rounds in it.(44mag/44 special) same with the 357mag/38 special). Also you can pair up with a handgun which you can do also with the 45-70 with Magnum Research BFR revolver or T/C single shot handgun. But recoil would be more in 45-70 in handgun.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.