We made vit from Fairbanks Ok in March of 1956 in our Family 1954 Chev. wagon. No troubles, but muddy and frozen roads. In 1980 we came back from Anchorage in a borrowed Travco motor home the first week of June that drove sideways down the road. Not much trouble for the old goat. Wiper blades fell of with the first rain. Flat on an inside dual in Whitehorse, broke a bolt in the alternator putting on a new spare belt. Use a 2X4 to wedge the alternator to tighten the belt until we stopped in Ft St John. Grouchy old man said he would fix it, but said leave and get out of his way. I guess he screwed the alternator housing up trying to drill out the broken bolt and had to put another housing on it. I asked how much and he said $20. I gave him $50. All was good until going across Raton Pass at midnight. The coach quit and I was having battery problems. Turned the lights out and you couldn't drive a needle up my A$$ as it quit in the left lane. Lifted the lid on the motor and saw instantly that the manual choke had vibrated closed. Opened it up and got the shift over the pass. Being an old Lady with all the shaking and rattling our 3 Sons and a Buddy's Son ea. had a Phillips screwdriver to continually retighten the cabinet screws.
Being a lot younger than I am now, we only remembered the good parts and we had a lot of them.