24 yrs infantry, used all the milspec stuff always readily available, never gave thought to cost honestly. Used clp all over the planet, used lSA in winter at fort carson and training in germany and norway, used LSA in korea in winter, used light coat clp in morroco, used graphite in desert storm with light clp, used clp in oif 1, used vasaline in panama on exterior and clp inside, never had issues keeping a weapon up and running, 10 to 15 min basic wipe down exterior with barber brush and feild cleaning with kit. Basically milspec stuff depending on climate. Been surfing all the crazy conoctions on the web, basically anything from motor oil to vagisil (of all things) bug juice, red juice, ect ect ect, got my ar about 4 months ago, been using CLP and used hoppes bench rest for copper every 300 rds . I keep my weapon clean, i dont subscribe to the run it till it fails or see what breaks then clean it club, cause it will give me "bragging rights" that i shot 4753 rds before my extractor broke and also discoved cracks in my bolt and carrier... gee ya think not cleaning it put mechanical and pressure stress into it at all........ anyways i retired in 2008 i have put 453 rds thru my weapon so far and have an issue with new age CLP/Breakfree, the shyt just evaporatesin storagre and burns off in firing to fuqqing fast, definately not the old school formula with all the money shot teflon and chem additives you had to shake up from the bottom. Im talking like 2 to 3 days in the case and the lube is not wet ,still in a film but not wet. I like to dry fire for 5 to 10 minutes daily so the evaporation rate is noticable. so i purchased 2 4oz bottles of CLP , 1 4 oz bottle of LP, 1 4oz bottle of regular hoppes #9 and 2 1oz bottles of lucas extreme duty gun oil (blue green color) so i mixed up 18 oz of a homebrew clp last wensday. The stuff is still wet , not migrating and holding well on everything so far, im gonna out and shoot tommorow probably around 150 rounds and see how the homebrew works. Spent just under 30 bucks. 18 0z will last awhile i imagine. AR,s will run properly on just about any lube as long as you take care of em a little bit each day when in use. Now some of ya,ll can come out and hammer me for my opinon.....