I've read a ton of threads on lubing the AR, it can get entertaining...

Pat Rogers saw more rounds down range than most folks ever will, being a shooting instructor whose students usually shot 1000 rounds or more in a 2 day class, he saw several failures and more than a few trends. He also kept notes that were full of vital info on failures. He used to post some of these nuggets on M4C and a few other boards. He is the one who used Vagisil and just about everything else available. (Google "filthy 14" for some interesting reading.) The last I knew he used Slip 2000 I believe and used a cleaner to clean when he had to. Sadly he passed away a year or two ago.

In an interview he talked about what makes an AR run. As long as the lube stayed where it was needed, it worked. It also needed to remain consistant in all weather conditions. He liked something enviromentally friendly. He did not subscribe to the theory that CLP or any other cleaner/lube/protector worked. Use a good lube or at least reapply any lube when you needed it and use a good cleaner when you needed to clean it.

I got a few small bottles of Machine Gunners lube from LaRue Tactical everytime I ordered from them and found that it worked for me and I started keeping one of the small bottles in the pistol grip of my guns or in the stocks. I'm sure there are better products out there but it's worked on everything I've used it on, pistol or rifle. A buddy had a gun quit him on a hunt we were on. I started taking my stock off and he started laughing at me, "don't tell me you got gunsmith kit in there" I pulled out a bottle of MGL and he was soon back in business.

I've got a solvent tank at my shop for cleaning and have found B12 Chemtool gets the carbon off better than anything else. So when I need to clean more than a wipe down, it goes into the vat then soaked in B12. Blown dry then wiped down with MGL. It's worked for me.