Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I use a lot of scopes with subtension reticles, mil-dots, the TMR, MOA hash-marks and rest of the time Duplex reticles of well known spacing. They get used for holdover, wind- holds,range estimation and next shot sight corrections.

Here's the thing. Inevitably all of these reticles are calibrated at the highest power level, so if any or all of those functions are going to be in play it is a natural progression that the scope is dialed to the maximum magnification. Basically that is everything beyond point-blank. While I may carry a rifle around with the magnification at the lowest setting it is a rare occasion when I don't crank it up to max for the shot. Besides, if you were wondering if POI shifted with magnification, it is now shifted into the who cares category.

Another thing is if you are accustomed to years of peering through 20-25 X scopes a 10-15 power hunting optic already feels like half throttle.

Heavy mirage or poor atmospheric conditions make max power nearly useless when talking 20x and up. FFP solves all the problems you mention, and yes, POI shift is still a problem on some SFP scopes, though not nearly as prevalent as it used to be.