I used to do it in an oven but bought myself a real dehydrator last year.

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z915M4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will dehydrate any and all cuts (venison and beef) with just a light dusting of salt - nothing else. I find that spices get in the way of the flavor of the meat. I will tend to buy bottom round roast when it is on sale because is goes down to about $3/lb.

When I do slice the meat myself, I do it with the meat partially frozen to make it easier to slice thin (<1/4"). When the meat is partially frozen, it squirms less. Sliced like this, it takes a full 24 hrs to dehydrate using the above machine set at it's highest temp of ~165°F. It will be reduced to about 25% of its original weight and will crumble readily.

When I get the butcher to slice the meat "thin", I will end up with up to ~1/2" thick slices. These will take ~48 hrs to dehydrate to about 25% of original weight. The whole thing is easier when the butcher does the slicing smile

I LEAVE THE FAT ON and it tastes absolutely glorious. All of the aged, beefy flavor is in that fat. I will store it in Ziploc freezer bags in the freezer and can eat them directly from the freezer because they don't have much water to freeze and thus harden - duh wink

[Linked Image]

I discovered the leaving the fat on thing when I started doing biltong in a cardboard box with a fan. I had never had beef so rich and flavorful. It was the gawd danged "dehydrated fat". Fat does NOT dehydrate, I know. It was aged in the process of dehydrating the rest of the meat.

I dunno if it can poison me or what not. Big boy rules apply. Do this at your own risk, etc, yadi-yada.

Biltong
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 07/06/17.