Back in the day (late '60s and early '70s, anyway) MiniMags were probably the most reliable ammo you could get, and it shot pretty well in most typical hunting .22s, like the Marlin 60 and 10/22s. The bullets were tight in the cases, unlike the cheaper ammo from Remington and Winchester, causing a mulititude of problems feeding, etc.
From my point of view, the stuff made that old Marlin of mine sing, and killed stuff well.

To be honest, it's not the most accurate stuff in my current rifles (all boltguns), but it's still awfully good, and reliable, in that old Marlin of mine, and a whole passel of 10/22s and 77/22s I've owned. It's plenty "accurate enough" and reliability is still not really questionable even now. Those plastic sliding-lid boxes are nice, too, but everyone's using those nowadays.

We hide-bound old guys tend to like what worked for us back then, and if it's still working well enough, are slow to change much. I am also very, VERY pleased with the Aguila CPHV stuff, but if I'm going to go after a limit of Missouri squirrels, I'll probably be carrying MiniMag HPs, because they shoot pretty well, too. I like CCI pretty well, Federals are okay, and I won't buy Winchester or Remington, period, too many loose bullets. Aguila is my current favorite for plinking or just plain messing around, but for tree rats, gimme those MiniMags.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.