Originally Posted by jeffbird
mm,

the worst example that sticks in my mind especially was a hunter with a 25-06 with BT handloads. He wounded lots of deer and pigs in two separate trips. I watched him shoot a pig just below the ear at about 50 yards. The pig was stunned enough that we could walk up before it ran. The wound looked like someone scooped out a chunk with an ice cream scoop. Had to finish the pig with a pistol. The other I remember was a young guy with a 7 Wby who used BT's and ended up calling for a tracking dog more than once.

The 25-06 hunter changed to a 308 with 175 SMK's and 168 Amaxes and the results improved to no more wounded animals.

As mentioned, the TTSX is my go to choice now, but Partitions are effective too. Maybe the BT's are better now and deserve another chance, but the TTSX's have worked so well and do not tear up lots of meat, so going to stick with them.

The best deer hunter and shot I have ever known used a 7-08 with 140 Pro Hunters over Varget. He shot over 100 deer a year most years off of management permits. He lost a couple through the years, but only a couple.

Same thing happened to me a number of years back. Shot 4 hogs, 200# to 80# one evening. All head shot between 150 and 200 yds, 300 Win Mag, 180 NBT (old version). Killed them but the entrance wounds looked like Claymores got'em. You could see teeth and other structues on all four.

Newer NBT's do better, but I had changed to 180 NAB's in that gun and they did OK.

I liked the NBT/NAB set up, both bullets with same B.C.s, same POI. I could swap back and forth depending use. The NBTs were a hair more accurate than the NAB's, at least for me in that gun.

DF