Hey guys, looking to order my first McMillan stock but am having a hard time determining which pattern to go with. This stock will be going on a left-hand Savage Model 16 Lightweight Hunter in .250 Savage that I just ordered this morning. I know I will have to switch to a blind magazine but that's not an issue as I don't care for the Axis-style DBM setup anyway. Of course my being a lefty rules out the Mountain Rifle pattern as an option which seems to be a favorite around here.

Rifle Details:

Action: LH Savage center-feed S/A (4.40" screw spacing) with bottom (trigger guard) bolt release
Barrel: 20" factory straight taper (0.550" @ muzzle)
Scope Mount: DNZ Hunt Masters (low)
Optic: Leupy VX-2 3-9x40

Patterns I'm looking at:

- Compact/Hunters Edge
- McMillan Hunter
- Classic

Since I can't handle each to see which I like the feel of or which fits me best I'm hoping those of you that have one or more of these stocks can chime in and give your feedback on each. I'm pretty average build (5'11, 190-lbs) so most factory stocks fit me well, so I'm more interested in feedback on the nuances like grip width/angle, forearm shape/width, and buttstock thickness. The one measly photo on McMillan's site doesn't answer these questions, and since PhotoBucket got greedy most all of the pictures in the older threads I could refer to on here are inoperable.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MrFurious; 07/19/17.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!