Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Barrel: 20" factory straight taper (0.550" @ muzzle)

This is a small barrel and would look crappy in a mcmillan classic or a new mcmillan hunter. These forends can take MUCH more contour than that.

Add that to all of the above problems and I would move on from this idea. Savage's are cheap utility guns that shoot well. Get a higher quality gun and then get the nice Mcmillan. Just my advice, take it or throw it down the crapper.

Best

On the Classic or McM Hunter you're probably right which is why I held off on placing an order. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from Manner's on their EH6 and EH8 stocks. They seem to be more up-to-date with their inlets and options when it comes to Savage rifles, but detailed info on their patters is greatly lacking on their website. The factory tupperwear stock (non-AccuStock) weights right at 2-lbs by my scale and the balance point is just behind the front action screw which isn't bad at all.

As for the "cheap utility guns" comment, I was wondering how long it was going to take. LOL You're entitled to your opinion, but I've had several dozen Savage rifles come through here for T&E over the last 15 years - most of which had no problem shooting sub MOA with factory fodder. In fact, I can only think of a couple that wouldn't and those were rimfires. Sure, I could go out and dropped $2,500 or so on a titanium 700 clone, a Bartlein barrel and a McMillan or Manners stock, or just order a NULA for $3,600, but would all that extra money get me a rifle that shoots any better than a "cheap utility" Savage? I highly doubt it. Ditto for buying a Tikka or any other brand rifle and rebarreling/restocking it to get what I want. It's a little more difficult to get exactly what you want for a Savage at times because (like you) some manufacturers in the industry still snub their nose at them and refuse to support them as much as they do other brands, but that's all part of the challenge.

So yeah, I have no qualms about my "cheap utility" Savage's. I'll happily take the money I'm saving and put it towards a hunting trip or two.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!