Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

I've narrowed it down to the Compact/Hunters Edge and McMillan Hunter patterns at this point, and yes - I will definitely be doing the Edge fill (even though I really like the swirly look). I happen to have a 16 LWH in .223 Rem in for T&E right now and the factory tupperwear stock weights right at 2-lbs. which is what McMillan is listing for both patterns with standard fill (give or take). It's not bad, but could definitely benefit from having the balance point moved a little further forward with the lighter fill. I have a 4-16x44mm Trophy Xtreme mounted on it (20oz.) with a DNZ GameReeper mount and it weighs in just a hair under seven pounds. The Leupy scope will save me a about 9-oz. and the Edge fill should save me another 8-9 ounces, so the finished package should weigh about 6 pounds. Not quite an ultra-lite in my book, but darn close and not bad for a Savage which is a fairly heavy action in standard trim.

As for switching to a blind magazine, the main reason is because most of the McM stocks aren't the right depth for Savage's bottom metal to sit flush with the bottom of the stock. The only stocks McMillan can inlet for the Savage DBM or HFP bottom metal (per Varian Zingaro) are the A5, the A3-5, the A3 and the HTG). This is a big reason why you don't see many people running McMillan stocks on their Savage rifles - most aren't willing to give up their detachable magazine or hinged floorplate. If McM would take the time to make up some Savage specific molds and rework their patterns a little to accommodate the DBM/HFP hardware they'd be a much bigger player in the Savage market. It used to be most Savage owners wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money for a stock, but these days they're spending $600-1,000 for an aluminum chassis so dropping $5-6 bills on a Micky isn't a big deal.

Last edited by MrFurious; 07/19/17.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!