I ordered the book half expecting it to be dry and textbook like for some reason. I have no idea why, and it certainly would have been fine with me as my primary reason for buying it was for education rather than entertainment. It was love at first paragraph. After reading the first paragraph it was immediately apparent that the author has the spirit of a sportsman and the skill as a scribe to stir that sportsman's soul.

I called Laurie into the room and read it to her. I give Laurie anything she wants. Anything but the window seat that is. I love to peer down at the land below and try to guess where I am. Guess where the wildlife will be. My face is planted firmly in the window for the entire trip, processing all the information Mother Nature is giving me. After reading it to Laurie she smiled knowing that I had found a good read.

This morning I sat out on the front porch reading a bit further into the book. I chuckled out loud at times. There's a certain sarcasm or cynicism that John uses that I really enjoy. To call it dry humor is to do it an injustice. I'll be damned if I know what to call it, but I like it. I am a southeasterner, but am blessed to have traveled over much of the west. I have been out there enough to appreciate this little nugget. "About the only way you can tell you are in Colorado is some men and women wear cowboy boots and big hats. (Most of these people sell real estate...) That's the writings of a man who never stops studying the world around him.