I think every generation feels some compulsion to reinvent the wheel, but this silliness we’re seeing today in the firearms training community got its start in the early 90’s. Anyone and everyone with an MOS within arm’s reach of 11B all of sudden had some imagined “credibility” with the Gulf Wars as a back-drop.

The uninitiated have always been impressed by the least little thing but our modern culture - as a whole - has lost its ability to critically think through much of anything which results in an atmosphere that’s a breeding ground for half-truths and total BS.

Personally, I think things are just now really starting to get cranked up. Look at all the mindless gizmos and gimmicks being introduced almost weekly to the gun culture.

Cooper used to refer to most gun magazines as the “funny papers”, but their foolishness pales in comparison to the dip-schitery being propagated by folks through their training venues, the internet and social media.

When you don’t have anything meaningful (or new) to offer, you’ve got to have a “hook” and regrettably that’s what too many folks in the firearms training community are offering …. a gimmick.

But, I’ve been on this planet long enough to know that lots of folks don’t mind being deceived if it plays to their fantasies and most are even willing to pay for it.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member