I learned, after many years as a student and a teacher, that learning to shoot well is much easier than learning to teach well. While DS is a very competent instructor I think he paints w/ a very broad brush and his memory of the past differs from mine. A lot of those old school IALEFFI etc instructors were full of crap and totally doctrinaire w/ nary an original thought. Civilian shooters were considered lightweights and referred to as holster sniffers

Today's student has a much better choice of instruction from competent instructors than ever before but buyer beware. One needs to understand and master the mechanics of shooting before worrying about tactics. In the last 10 years I have been fortunate to train w/ 3 gifted teachers, Paul Howe, Kyle Defoor and Craig Douglas and had to unlearn much of what I already knew to progress. You have to maintain an open mind and set goals before choosing the person to help you meet those goals. If you do your homework and keep trying and learning you will learn the difference between an instructor and a teacher.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC