I have one that I use for Ohio hunts. Fully rifled barrel mounted to a "Flex Tec" stock that has a limbsaver pad. Typical shots where we hunt are 40 - 80 yards so I keep mine zero'd at 75 and can usually cut clovers on the sight in target using Hornady SST 250 gr sabot's.
Sighting the gun in from a sitting position at a bench seams to make recoil more noticeable. I sight mine standing using shooting sticks and it is barely more than my 243, fine for a youngster. and if he does shoot a deer with it the last thing he will remember is how much the gun kicked.
A few years back one of the guys was getting ready to head home in the morning empty handed and one of the other guys noticed two deer feeding in a mowed corn field and told him about them. He had already packed his gun away so I loaned him the TC and he got his meat doe with one shot at 135 yards. Most of the guys I hunt with there shoot 12ga pumps (always work in cold and snow) so when someone brings a kid to camp they always ask "Uncle Joe" to use the 20. So far no complaints.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!