FWIW,

I do believe that this was the OP's initial post

Originally Posted by 444Matt
Who has one? Let's see them. I'm pouring over all the different options and would love to see and hear about anyone's experience with them.

Currently looking at the Sergeant model, model 28 and model 23.

The point of my original post on this topic was mainly to thank the gent who put up the video. It brought back a flood of memories, it was not to start an argument in regards to knife steel and the purpose behind blade profiles.

I do believe one of the three Randall's I posted was a model 28 Woodsman. I re-iterate that that one was a gift. The other two I purchased. The model 2-8 Fighting Stilletto, and the model 3- 5” Hunter were purchased, as new, at a “value”. When purchasing items such as rifles, knives, pistolas, vehicles or scooters, I typically have an exit strategy that involves making a profit.

IMHO, Randall’s have excellent trade value, and when purchased "right", even better.

Here is from AG Russell in regards to the model 28 Woodsman:

"The 4-1/2" drop point blade of 3/16" 440B stainless at 55-56 Rc"

https://agrussell.com/knife/Randall-Model-28-Woodsman--RA-M28G42S

Is 440B a super steel. No.

Would I refuse it as a gift? Absolutely not.

The model 28 is called a "Woodsman" not a skinner. There are any number of you tube vids that review this knife and its use that contrast it vs. a bushcraft knife. Should you be interested, Google is your friend.

Is this a "skinner", No!

Can it be used for skinning? Most definitely.

But what the hey!

IIRC, Dove season opener in the Texas Central Zone is September 2nd and the 15th in the South Zone. I’ll probably make opening morning. Whether the doves have been blown out by Harvey will remain to be seen. I’ll most likely set out a couple snares at both leases. Perhaps perforate one or more also. I might just skin one out and make a short vid to see whether this “woodsman” will still “cut it”

As I mentioned earlier, it is what it is

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.