Originally Posted by Blueranger
So is about 6 weeks from my hunt. I want to use my 338 Fed. My rifle loves 200 gr Fusions, I can keep 9/10 shots at 200 yards inside 2 inches and 9/10 shots at 300 yards inside of 4 inches, all shots will group inside 6 inches. I don't plan to shoot at anything more than 350 yards, in great conditions. With six weeks left, should I try to shoot the Trophy tipped bullet through my rifle, a tougher more "premium" bullet, or stick with the Fusion, "bonded deer bullet", and assume accuracy kills. I know the Trophy tipped has a better rep, but I am I handicapping myself with the Fusion? At hunting elevation, either bullet should deliver over 2,000 ft/lbs on an elk at 300 yards.

Thanks for your thought and shoot straight everyone.

I'm a A-frame/Partition guy for elk. Personally I would upgrade and find out if the Trophy tipped shoots straight. ... if it does go with it, if not the 200grn of the 338 will help you out and the fusion will get the job done.. Put it behind the shoulder and as I tell all elk hunters I know, If able, always use follow up shots until your elk is down. Even if it drops on the first shot, secure it with a well placed second shot.

Last edited by magnum44270; 09/04/17.