Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Makes a lot of sense if you're only interest is hunting, but for me guns, especially rifles, are an enthusiasm, not just a means of acquiring meat and antlers....

THIS ^^^^^^ is the the boat I'm in and have been for a while.

The last 2 rifles I acquired are 6.5X55 which I never owned before but it's a 70 FTWT probably my fav rifle over all.

The other is a 284 Win in a 98 Mauser, also never owned either before.

IF I went back where I - LIKED - early on it would have to be a 700 , 270 Win. I 'could' have done all my hunting with a good 270 all
these years. But I've had a whole lot of fun experimenting and owning many diff rifles and cartridges.

I have a good 06 and am keeping it but for MY hunting a 270 W is more than enuf and easy on the shoulder.
That said, this year I 'intend' to bloody the 284 and use DIFF bullets in the Swede.

If I lived in another area with larger game I could gladly use a 7 RM or 300 WM. I have both and enjoy shooting/hunting them.

Different Strokes. We all have diff personalities.

Jerry

Jerry, you & Pappy are probable right. A rifle to is something to hunt with. I'm not into punching paper. A 1" group to me is just fine for elk hunting these past 30 years. My love is trap shooting. I shoot a basic BT-99. It's a fixed full with a non adjustable stock. I use the KISS method. Keep my head down & I'll shoot well. I give the big boys a run for their money. To me it's not the gun but the puff of black smoke when you whack that clay pigeon.