I pretty much seat bullets out to magazine length...if the throat will take them...

I usually will make a dummy round and ram it home and let the throat tell me what it
will take...

on the Ruger, this rifle ( I use to have Two of them) wouldn't shoot anything but patterns
as far as a group goes.. I was to the point of going to rebarrel both of them.

I don't know why, but I decided to try a charge of 40 grains of 3031 from an Older Hornady
manual with the 175 RN...at the range, It gave me a half inch group...

that blew my socks off, as that didn't make sense for that rifle...so I went home and loaded up
some more, with both the RN and the SP in 175 grains...

back to the range and same thing....

so I started trying other bullet weights and brands with 3031... once again, the one charge
it loved with each bullet weight was 40 grains of 3031... same thing with the other Ruger..

a campfire friend in WVA wanted a 7 x 57 Ruger for his son, so I let one go, but told him
that was the load he needed to feed it, for dependable accuracy...

Even with the 175s, the Ruger's throat, would take longer than a magazine length seated bullet.

So that is what I use on it.

on the Featherweight... I just seat the bullet to the cannelure on a 175 RN and it returns little groups
so I don't mess with it anymore than that..

hope that answers your question T.

best of luck with yours.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez