Originally Posted by Bob257AI
In a modern action, and what determines a modern action? Can a 7x57 be loaded to in comparison? Example, to a 280Rem, 280AI, 284Win, 7-08, get the idea.

Perhaps "in a strong action" might be better than "in a modern action". But, again... that doesn't tell you much. I.E. ... define "modern" and define "strong"?

Generally, I'd say a "modern action" or "modern rifle" is any action or rifle made since about 1935 (the Model 70 Winchester) or possibly even earlier... back to maybe 1920 or so. However, I believe some manufacturers were "modernizing" the steels they used in their firearms as late as the late 1920's or early 1930's, but don't quote me on that.

However, most of us understand that a "modern action" means a rifle which has been manufactured within a certain time-frame using modern manufacturing methods, modern steel, modern ballistic knowledge and reasonable caution as used in the popular reloading manuals.

I.E., few, if any, of us would consider a rifle made in 1893 a "modern rifle". (Just ignore the Model 94 Winchester introduced in 1894 or the Savage Model 99 introduced in its original form in 1895 and re-introduced in 1899) In fact, it is generally well-known the 1893 and 1895 Mauser rifles manufactured in those years weren't as strongly made as the famous 1898 Mauser.

Therefore, the SAAMI recommended chamber pressure for the 7x57 cartridges is limited to a low 46,000 CUP due to the fact that in many 3rd world countries, they're still using 1893 and 1895 Mauser rifles. (Don't even ask about the chamber pressures of "blue pill" loads - grin )

By the same token, "modern" rifle cartridges often have chamber pressures that run upwards of 50,000 CUP to 54,000 CUP or more if the so-called "magnum" cartridges are also included.

However, in at least one well-known reloading manual, the recommended MAXIMUM LOAD for the 7x57 cartridge is listed using a powder load of 50.0 grains of H4350 (my Ruger #1 International loves this load) and indicates this yields a chamber pressure of 50,000 CUP. HOWEVER... this load has a "warning" attached to it indicating that the maximum load MUST BE USED IN MODERN RIFLES ONLY!

Most shooters would consider that this means in a bolt-action rifle ONLY, but such is not necessarily true. My Ruger #1 is a "modern rifle" (made in 1993). HOWEVER, it's action is very old... it has a "falling block" action found in rifles made in the late 1800s.

Hardly a "modern rifle" if it's "heart"... it's action... is well over 100 years old, eh?

That said... it must be admitted that a well-made falling block action using modern steels is a very strong action and can easily handle chamber pressures of 50,000 CUP... and even more!

Now... considering all of the above, let's talk "REALISM"!!! You mentioned examples of comparing a 7x57 cartridge to a .280 Remington, a .280 Remington AI, a .284 or a 7mm-08. Let's talk about these cartridges.

All of the cartridges you mentioned (except one, the 7mm-08) have a larger powder capacity than the 7x57 and, therefore, like cubic inches and horsepower in engines, the engine with the greatest amount of cubic inches can normally be made to out-perform any engine with smaller cubic inches... and thus, all the cartridges with a greater powder capacity and an equal or higher chamber pressure will out-perform the best the 7x57 will do at the same chamber pressure.

The same can be said of "powder capacity" in all cartridges if all the other factors (chamber pressure, cartridge shape, barrel length, use of the best suited powder, etc., etc.) are the same.

While the shape of the cartridge case and the angle of the shoulder CAN make some difference in muzzle velocity, the big "deciding factors" are POWDER CAPACITY and CHAMBER PRESSURE. If we give all these cartridges the SAME chamber pressure, then the ONLY difference will be POWDER CAPACITY... and that is the REAL DECIDING FACTOR that determines muzzle velocity in a rifle with the same barrel length under normal conditions.

I may have forgotten to include some small details, but the above is the true basis of the "realism" of why some cartridges under-perform or out-perform other cartridges.

But worry not because I'm sure some know-it-all troll who likes to pull the wings off of butterflies will find a way to poke holes in my post. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...