Funny you should ask..... I have been having the same debate. I am leaving for Newfoundland next week. This past June as a special birthday present, my wife bought me a Ruger #1 in 7-08. The number 1's were being heavily discounted at the local Cabelas. Next to the 7-08 was a 1S in 30-06. Hey, it was my 70th birthday. I can afford to be self-indulgent. I bought that '06 too.

This will be my third trip to Newfoundland. On previous trips I have taken moose handily with the 30-06. My usual practice on a hunting trip is to bring two rifles.My current plan is to take the 1S '06 and bring along another '06, a Tikka t3 as a backup. It's a very sensible thing to do. But the little 1A in 7-08 is whispering to me from the corner as I type this. I have been hunting with 7x57's and 7-08's since 1972. I know with absolute certainty that a 160 grain Nosler Partition will put a moose in the freezer. I am sorely tempted.....

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.