Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Funny the NF SFP scopes have such a problem, 1 MOA or 5 inches off at 500 yards? I had not heard of that, surprising

That is because it's not happening. Don't believe everything you read

As I mentioned in my original post, in good SFP scopes, the point-of-impact shift due to zoom is controlled to about 1 MOA or less. This would be barely detectable in a normal-power hunting scope such as your 2.5-10X (It is hard to aim accurately at 2.5X and we can't tell if a shift in point of impact or group size is caused by us or by the scope or by other factors). If you have a bore sighter, you might be able to see if your scope has a shift during zoom. But even with a bore sighter the grid shown by the device is not easy to see at 2.5X. The shift in point of aim of an SFP scope -if it exist- becomes detectable only when the scope's minimum power is high, say 6X or 8X.

That said, I only have one SFP scope and I have not detected any shift in its point of aim under zoom. It is a Hensoldt 6-24X56 (pictured below). My other scopes are all FFP or fixed-power. But I also remember looking through a Schmidt and Bender scope at Shot Show of the type that has a reticle in FFP and a red dot at SFP. I could clearly see a shift in the relative position of the dot over the reticle during zoom. I was surprised as I was not expecting to be able to see that.. confused

In summary, an SFP scope is susceptible to a shift in point of aim during zoom. This, however, is not a serious concern in good hunting scopes of nominal power.

Regards,
-Omid

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 09/11/17.